Wednesday, February 13, 2013

カタカナ Analysis


Katakana (カタカナ)is a type of character in Japanese language generally used to represent foreign words and onomatopoeia. Also, katakana is a way to emphasize a word or a sentence. However, analyzing some katakana on mangas, I realized it can be used to conveyi   few more information. 

Let's see some examples:



As you can see in that example from Dragon Ball manga, the word  ぼく(僕)is written in katakana (ボク).  In my opinion, ぼく is written in katakana in order to express a fragility of the character, who is a child. Also, it is a way to convey the character's naivety.  In that case, katakana is used to express character's throughts from his manner to "speak".

Let's see another example.
In that example the name りょうこ, which is clearly a Japanese name and not a foreign name, is written in katakana. It may have been written in katakana to inform to the readers that  リョウコ is  not a real name of the manga author. It's a pseudonym. Also it may be an attempt to turn a Japanese name in something different as a foreign name.

Some more example:


We have here two different words. One is バカボン. This word doesn't exist on a Japanese dictionary (at least I couldn't find it), but everyone in Japan knows the meaning (according to my Japanese friends). It's something like " very silly". Katakana was used, in this case, to express a "new" word, a neologism.

The other word is quite simple はりっけ, which means to crucifix. Katakana is used to emphasize this meaning.

14 comments:

  1. Great work!

    You know, when you people started to learn Japanese, your Japanese sounded me like "ワタシハ プリンストン ダイガクノ ガクセイデス".

    It was not like "わたしは プリンストンだいがくの がくせいです" nor "私は プリンストン大学の 学生です。"

    Can you find out the difference among them?
    It's related to your first example.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. こんにちは、すずきさん!
      I totally agree with your example. I also believe when we start learning Japanese our Japanese sounds like "katakana". I'm not sure if my suggestion about ボク is correct, but I think it makes sense. ;)

      Delete
  2. I like your analysis of katakana! It provides new reasons that I have not encountered before! Good job! I particularly like the explanation of katakana used to express the fragility of a child's thoughts. That was very interesting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. こんばんは、しみんさん!
      どうもありがとうね!

      Delete
  3. You've really found some interesting examples and provided great insight here! I especially like your interpretation of the use of カタカナ in writing ボク; it's more than just emphasis, it's highlighting something particular about a character. And your example of the pseudonym is also interesting; what might the English equivalent of that be?

    アレン

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. こんばんは、アレンさん!
      どうも ありがとう!
      Your question is very interesting. In my opinion, in English we can use "italic" in order to have an equivalent. but I'm not sure if there will be the same impact/meaning. What do you think?

      Delete
    2. こんばんは!

      Regarding ボク, your interpretation of "fragility" is interesting. Actually, I would have expected katakana to imply more strength than hiragana, since it is less rounded and was previously separated as masculine writing (right?). Does this seem relevant to you?

      Delete
    3. こんばんはオロロクさん!

      Your point of view is interesting. I didn't know that katakana was separeted as masculine writing. Do you have any reference for this?
      Actually, a better word would be "ingenuity", I think.

      Delete
  4. Huh. I've never thought of katakana being used to express a neologism before. There must be a lot of other words like that in the Japanese language...I wonder if they typically use hiragana or katakana to express them? I'd guess katakana, actually.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I think that indeed there is a lot of neologism in Japanese. I see very frequently when I read some mangas, and usually they are written in katakana.

      Delete
  5. とてもおもしろいと思います!

    I never thought about katakana in that manner before. Perhaps from a cultural and marketing perspective, the katakana gives a more international feel to a work, thus making it seem "cool" and "hip". よくできました!

    ーMorgan Jerkins '14 (JPN 306) ジャーキンス

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally agree with you. I like the example of キス(kiss) instead of せっぷん (kiss in Japanese).

      Delete
  6. Very interesting analysis with good examples representing each way of usage! I think Katakana can also be used to visually "stand out" among Kanji or Hiragana. For example, let's suppose we were watching the famous movie 「踊る大捜査線」,and the end roll would come out like this:

    監督 本広克行
    脚本 君塚良一
    製作 村上光一 中村敏夫
    出演者 織田裕二
    柳葉敏郎
    深津絵里
    ユースケ・サンタマリア
    水野美紀
    Isn't it so easy to spot「ユースケ・サンタマリア」among so many Kanji?

    このように、名前を目立たせるために戦略的に芸名をカタカナ(もしくは平仮名)にする芸能人もいます。ダイアネさんの二番目のケースの、漫画家のペンネームと似ていますね!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is very enlightening!!! Indeed, the katakana was very effective on your example. I think katakana makes the Japanese language even richer.
    Thank you for your comment!! ;)

    PS: You're a Japanese, right?

    ReplyDelete